More on chairs facing out

Peg Holman pholman at msn.com
Tue Feb 8 08:06:20 PST 2000

Since I shared the idea that came up during the Arts Commision Open Spaces
on setting up the chairs facing out of the circle, I thought I'd share the
conversation that's subsequently taken place among the people opening the
spaces around the state.

*************************
>From Miriam Barnett:

I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts and observations on how
the chairs are set up.  I attended the Bellevue OS and my comments are in
response to the chairs being turned around so that everyone turns the chairs
and enters the circle at the same moment (as Rich and Peter shared in
previous e-mails).  My first observation is that when people came, got food
and then went to sit down, they did not interact with each other.  It was
interesting to watch this dynamic and caused me to reflect long and hard
about it.  I must say that it does not feel comfortable to me and at
Colville, I left the chairs facing in.  What I saw there  was people came,
got food, sat in the circle and talked to each other and at that point,
spirit began, a community was formed and by the time I came into the circle
to facilitate, there was great warmth and comfort already there.  To me, OS
is about giving up control. Having people wait to enter the circle and then
do it at the same time feels too controlled to me.  I am speaking from my
heart and am sharing without censoring myself because I feel honesty is the
best policy.  I remain open to hearing feedback about this or continuing the

discussion when we re-convene as facilitators in March.

*************************
>From Peter Donaldson:
Chairs in or out continued...

Miriam, Thanks for your clarity and integrity on the chairs in or out
philosophy. I agree with your assessment that letting go of control is
central in tandem with the courage to stay clear about the minimal
principles of holding spirit in a group. As a theater director and want-a-be
shaman, I stumble constantly over how much to "direct" the enviroment and
set the stage. You picked me up and I am grateful.

*************************
>From Rich Henry:
I had a wonderful opportunity to talk with Miriam at length about chairs and
other OS reflections after her Colville OS. The first thing that struck me
is the power of dialogue. My favorite definition is from Emily Decker at the
Washington Center at Evergreen. Emily says that when dialogue occurs
(different from discussion) both (all) come away changed.

When Peter had us enter the circle together at the OS Pracititioner
Workshop, it was
a powerful intentional ritual, and, for me, deepened our spiritual
connection. And the context was that we were all experienced with OS and a
lot of us knew each other.

With these Arts Commission Community OSs, most participants are new to OS
and probably don't know
each other. They may already be stretched just by seeing the chairs in a
circle. I think Miriam's observation of the natural connections that people
begin to make as an easing into community and spirit is a great insight. The
primary role of the facillitator is to open and hold the space so all feel
safe, empowered to share their wisdom. And I now think that for first time
participants, gentler will usually be better. Next time, for a similar
group, I'll have the chairs facing in, and people will enter the circle
whenever the spirit moves them.

It's great to have options, different tools for different contexts. Thank
you Peter for opening me to more formal, explicit rituals for certain
contexts, and thank you Miriam for helping me reflect on the differences in
contexts.

My personal OS learning has gone to a new level by being part of this
process. Thank you all.

>From Kris Tucker (the Executive Director of the Arts Commission who is
attending all the meetings)
After trying this a couple of times, I'm now realizing that having