You call this planning!!??

BJ Peters bjpeters at amug.org
Thu Feb 17 14:04:18 PST 2000

ralphsc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How interesting to read the comments about preparation.
>
> I have no disagrements to offer, just a slightly different way of doing things.  This is not about the time I spend preparing the client, but the work I do, more precisely *don't* do, with myself.
>
> For years I have listened closely and with admiration when Harrison has described the personal preparation he does before doing open space events.  I always felt vaguely guilty that I don't do what he doe, i.e. meditate for long stretches ahead of time, etc. I felt that by not doing that I might be cheating the client.   But for whatever reasons, I have not adopted his approach.  I always relax a little, make sure I do not show up harried and worried or boiling over with my own emotional turmoil, and I learned that I can usually do that.  I seem to have a switch in me that enables me to turn of anything else that's going on within me.
>
> And on the several occasions when I felt the need to practice my opening (because the group had very sensitive issues, etc.) I usually get nervous and stumble.
>
> Last fall, my "learning" about how I prepare got some reinforcement.  A brief story (hope I'm not repeating some earlier posting.  If so, my apologies.)...
>
> I arrived in a far-away time zone to do an OS event after the airplane trip from hell.  Cancelled flights, stunningly rude airline personnel, lost baggage, missed connections.  You name it, it happened.  I was steaming.  To make matters worse, my hotel room was "under construction" and the hotel people moved me to another place seven miles away.  Add to the list of woes: botched ground transportation.  I worked my way through all of this, somehow, but then my new hotel missed my wake up call on the morning I was to open the space ? and the OS room hadn't even been set up yet!
>
> "Beside myself" didn't describe me.  You see, I don't really enjoy business travel all that much.  Give me a gig an hour's drive from my house with no overnights and I'll be okay.  More than that and I start off as a semi-unhappy camper.  Frustrate me with broken arrangements, and I seethe and stew.  In my previous life, I probably found joy and fulfillment as an assasin.
>
> Well, I somehow got myself together in time.  I stepped into the circle and did one of the best intros I think I've ever done.  Smooth, crisp, clear and funny.  The whole event went very well from start to finish.  The close was a simply beautiful experience.  I just kept telling myself, "Get out of the way."

> [...]

Ralph-- Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! It underscores for me the role that presence - being truly present- plays in this work. While I don't advocate we create chaos and pain to get centered, I know that when the Universe bombards me with disorder or lunacy or aggravation, I am best served when I allow that to be the catalyst for me to connect with myself, spirit and my inner wisdom - to experience and accept what is real in the moment. When I can do that, I can be present and contribute. I am eternally grateful for those times when I can.

In harmony --BJ