self organizing systems

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 5 14:47:48 PST 2000

At 05:11 PM 12/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>So Open Space IS not self organization but it is an procedure, that tries to
>adjust very carefully appropriate boundary conditions so that an optimal self
>organization can occure.
>... facilitators describe this attempt in a sence making way not as holding
>the temperature but  "holding the space" ..

Interesting distinction... but i rather think that in Open Space we
essentially create the essential pre-conditions for self-organization. Or
maybe that is what you said? And of course, self-organization in the human
domain shares preconditions with all other domains (after all we are atoms
too) -- but then there are some additional elements brought about because
of our knowledge and feelings (history and emotion). So there is an
intentional act... which starts things off (someone decides to hold and
OST) but when once started, it does it all by itself -- I think,

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA