Request for Advice - Contributing to an OS when you can't be there

Maggie Shreve Magshreve at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 06:55:21 PDT 2000

Meg,

Your situation sounds painfully familiar.  I'm co-chair of the Chicago OD
Network and work with other regionals at our national conference.  We've
heard or experienced similar problems all across the nation.

While everything you want to do sounds great, there may be other pieces
missing that I continue to discover in my current role.  One year at our
national, we produced a skit called "Herding Cats:  Growing a Regional OD
Network."  The title proved more apt than we knew.  The majority of our
participants agreed that OD consultants and academics are NOT team
players...so making groups work in the long term for people like us seems to
be a particular challenge.

I think I have figured some things out...not sure...but would be happy to
talk privately, email privately or post on the listserve, depending upon what
you want.  I like your ideas, I just think there is more to be done around
on-going structure, leadership, etc.  I'm also in the midst of making a move
back to Chicago, so my communications may be erratic for awhile.  Best of
luck,

Maggie Shreve
513/381-6848 till August 21st
magshreve at aol.com (forever...at least it feels that way)