story telling was:grief cycle work

Susan Lilley susanl at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 21 06:27:50 PDT 2000

Birgitt Williams wrote:

> We have learned from Harrison (see his books) about the importance of grief cycle work in organizations and why Open Space Technology works best at the stages of the grief cycle after shock/anger/denial/memories and letting go.......        For me, this is why I often prefer to do a story telling evening to get at the memory work before doing an Open Space Technology meeting about issues and opportunities of the future ESPECIALLY if the OST meeting is only one day or one 1/2 days.

Greetings all,

Birgitt's posting earlier this month is very relevant to an OST workshop I am preparing for late September.  It is for an organization that has been experiencing a lot of tension lately between the "old guard" who "don't want to let go", and the "new guard",  "full of new ideas".  The Board seems willing to agree to the following timelines:

Friday evening: story telling session
Saturday: Open Space
Sunday morning: convergence.

I would welcome stories and suggestions from any of you about how to make the best use of the Friday evening story session.

Thank you to Birgitt for her notes on the grief cycle, and to all of you who share your experience on this list serve -- it is a wealth of information for those of us just starting out. I look forward to the day when I can be a contributor as well as a learner!

--
Susan Lilley
7 Canterbury Place