The "T" in OST

Jim Clark jimbo at wfc.com.tw
Thu Aug 17 00:49:27 PDT 2000

I have been trying to think of ways of adding to the "Technology" side of
Open Space.

I see the following trends as something that might be levereged to make
Open Space meetings more effecient and perhaps, marketable.

1.  People I deal with are becoming more computer literate.
2.  The price of wireless networks is coming down while they are becoming
more powerful and transportable.
3.  The availability of notebook computers is rising (in the company I work
for, all the Department Heads have had their desktops replaced with
notebooks to help us "take the work with you").
4.  Computer assisted collaboration tools are becoming more powerful (i.e.
Microsoft "Net Meeting" has an electronic white board that people can
manipulate remotely from their computers).

I am playing with the idea of setting up a wireless network for an Open
Space event.

There would be a  computer available for each expected break out group
(with a couple more to spare in case).

Initiators could choose to either type in notes as things go along, or
could take the notebook anywhere in the room to input.

You could have the hub computer connected to a projector screen and list
files that have been input, people could then call that up.  Of course, any
computer on the wireless LAN would also have read access to any file.

I'm sure there are many caveats to this idea, and perhaps there are those
out there that are more familiar with these things than I am (I have only
talked to my techie friends to confirm that the above is indeed possible,
but am not competent to do it now).  It could also be that the cost of this
is still prohibitive.

On the other hand, if we were doing Open Space 20 years ago, we wouldn't
have "post-its."  So how will the convergence of technology affect the
running of an Open Space (Technology) meeting?

I find the question stimulating.

With respect from Afar,

bo

2.  Sign in and Proceed