Jimbo's OS

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Tue Apr 18 11:29:58 PDT 2000

I have facilitated a number of one day open spaces events with convergence
at the end. I believe that some kind of convergence is important for any
open space.  Ho w it is done depends on the group, the purpose of the event
and the follow-up.  Most often the "lag time" between the discussions and
the convergence to get all of the reports posted (I did not attempt to get a
full report done for every person) has been an opportunity for coffee and
continuing discussions.  However, a recent event brought together 40 nurses
from a broad geographic area to discuss the issues and opportunities for
inspiring nursing leadership.  This was a networking/learning event. The
results were meant to be used by the participants in their individual
organizations and by the sponsoring association to help them plan future
priorities.

At this event, the convenors ended up writing detailed and long reports (2-3
pages) and many of them left it to the end to put them into the computer. My
suggestion that people perhaps post their handwritten copy was not
accepted.... they really wanted to type them.  I had also made the mistake
of letting someone use the computer that was attached to the printer (as I
lost one laptop to a virus) and she ended up writing a thesis.  Although I
had allowed time for coffee break to get the last of the reports printed
off,  the waiting time created a perceptible dip in the energy that had been
present throughout the day and a number of people (about 20% of the group)
used the law of two feet and left before the closing. Some of the sponsors
got a little anxious ("We're losing them!)  Bad weather (January in Eastern
Ontario by the lake) contributed to people wanting to get on the road asap.
The time between the finish of the last session and the start of the
convergence activity was about 35 minutes. The convergence activity resulted
in an increased energy level again.   75% of the participants completed
written evaluations of the day.  While the event was highly rated by more
than 80% of the participants (score of 8-10 on a 10 point Likert scale) many
people commented on the lag time at the end as negative.

This was not an intact group who had a vested interest in the outcome of
convergence, which is different than many of the groups I have worked with.
It has caused me to look closely at how I might do that part differently to
reduce the lag time, including using the written reports etc. that were
described in earlier discussions.  It is certainly much harder on the
facilitators who end up rushing around at the last minute to get all the
reports together. However, the follow-up to the event has affirmed for me
the value of the convergence process.

The top two priority items that were put forward were developed into a
resolution by the sponsoring agency that was passed at the AGM of the
Registered Nurses Association of Ontario last week.  Another activity
catalyzed by the workshop is that a group of respected nursing leaders has
come together and is taking on development of a mentorship/leadership
initiative.  The issues have also hit the agenda of the provincial
government. There is a lot of momentum and energy around moving the issues
forward.

Finally, the sponsoring group hosted its annual conference (a traditional
format) two months after the open space event.  A number of people commented
on the conference evaluation that they would like to see more of the open
space workshops conducted around the province.

Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G1E2
Telephone -     (905) 648- 4633
Fax -           (905) 648-1763
E-mail          coopgrp at interlynx.net
The paradox of control is simple. The more we try to control life, the
less control we have.  Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., Minding The Body, Mending The
Mind

-----