An inquiry

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 11 09:46:34 PDT 2000

At 08:34 PM 4/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Things have changed and the call that has come forward now is to do the
>meeting without the staff because a number of them are to be let go as
>the operation restructures, and they want a much more controlled process
>now to deal with HOW the restructuring will take place.
In fact there is some experience in this area, and Open Space can be a
terrifically powerful way to go if only because when there is a major
re-direction in an organization EVERYBODY is already in Open Space. But it
takes some thought and a lot of care. The incident to which I am refering
occured several years ago when a major US areospace contractor faced a
major (read 50%) downsizing due to the end of the Cold War used Open Space
as the central means to accompllish the whole thing. Hugh Huntington was
the fellow on the spot, and you can read his story in Tales From Open
Space. If you don't have a copy, we still have some, and if I can get off
the road, I should be able to put the relevant chapter on my website.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD  20854