The whole system in one room

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Apr 11 00:01:46 PDT 2000

Jimbo:

For me it's the preferred way of working.  I love the buzz that's created by
having everyone in the same room, and it really encourages people to move
around.

Logistically the following rules apply:

Choose a room that is rated for twice the number of people you are expecting.
Most rooms are rated based on how many they can hold "Theater style."  To
translate to a circle, divide by two.  Using this rule of thumb will give you
a room big enough to hold everyone without a lot of cross talk.  Cross talk
tends to take care of itself however, with people moving in tighter, or
statring to speak in hushed tones or whatever.

If I can fit everyone in, then I won't book breakouts.  Otherwise I'll have
breakouts or other meeting places.  If the weather is nice (ie NOT November to
March in Vancouver) then I'll try to find places that have some outdoor
opportunities too.  I'm doing an Open Space at the end of the month here in
Vancouver at the University Botanical Garden which has a room with windows on
three sides, atop a cliff overlooking the ocean.  There is a deck around the
outside and a pagoda connected by a little bridge and surrounded by blooming
magnolia trees.  That's my idea of a good time.

When working in one room, I put numbers up around the room which are meeting
points.  People gather at the numbers at specific times to discuss their
issues.  People simply drag their chairs from the circle into the little
groups.  I don't set up circles of chairs around the numbers, because I prefer
people in the groups to do that.  Every group has its own optimal geometry,
and I like to give that a chance to grow.

The only thing that might be tight is the wall space.  Of course, you need a
blank wall for the agenda and another area for the laptops (if you're using
them) and another spot for the food.  Fitting all these things together is
usually the most challenging aspect of the Open Space.  Especially if you
arrive and see that the catering staff has taken advantage of that great empty
place which is shortly to become your agenda to set up breakfast.  Maybe we
should have a law for facilitators: The Law Of Thinking On Your Two Feet.
(That law says that if you're not confronted with logistical complexities at
every step, go somewhere else...you're obviously not doing Open Space...!)

I try to avoid breakouts for the simple reason you have articulated...it's
nice to have the whole system in the room.  I'm waiting for the day when I can
do one outside, in a field somewhere...

CJC

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN