The whole system in one room

Julianne Bell julianne at bit.net.au
Tue Apr 11 00:24:47 PDT 2000

The last OS I was involved with (which was also officially my first!),
started off in a huge Pavilion with 4 breakout spaces in that room and 5
others scattered in and around the adjoining buildings.  By the second day
the participants were tired of going to the adjoining buildings (and the
groups were small enough) so we moved all of the breakout groups into the
Pavilion... there was plenty of space between each of the smaller groups and
the bigger group used the main circle.

There were almost 140 participants on the first day which reduced to about
100 on the second, so we needed a big space in the first place.

Noise wasn't a problem (because the ceilings almost reached the sky!!), so I
guess if you were to do this you would need to take into account the
acoustics of the room.  We didn't have any feedback about people not being
able to hear each other.

I felt that it worked better when everyone was in the one room instead of
scattered around... the energy was contained in the one area, which
certainly worked well for the butterflies and bumblebees!!

As for preference, I wouldn't have one at this stage... I think it's reliant
on each individual event.

Warm regards
Julianne

Julianne Bell
Exceptional Events
Ph:  (07) 3891 0742
Fax:  (07) 3891 6244
Mobile:  0419 645 514

Exceptional events... dynamic spaces in which people connect and communicate
openly.