Romy + advance notice of Large Scale Change workshops

romy shovelton romys at compuserve.com
Fri Apr 21 11:44:29 PDT 2000

Hi everyone

To let you know about:
* contacting me in the next two months
* advance notice of the Millenium Open Space  workshop - October 25th to
27th
* the new series of integrated workshops on Engaging People in Large Scale
Change (a partnership between Roffey Park Management Institute, VISTA
Consulting, WIKIMA Consulting, and Hawthorn Press)

CONTACTING ROMY

Just to let you know that, as I shall be on my way to the North Pole from
21st April until 15th May and then in Montreal until 22nd June, I do not
expect to be responding personally to emails until the end of June,
although I will be in limited email contact from 15th May.

If there is anything that you would like a response to before the end of
June, please do leave a telephone message on my answering machine in London
(+44 207 229 7320), or email my assistant Maria Tierney
(tierneymaria at hotmail.com).  Maria will be handling messages regularly.

If you would like consulting assistance before my return, Maria will refer
you to an appropriate colleague of mine to provide the type of support you
are looking for.  Otherwise, I shall look forward to working with you after
June.

On a personal note, anyone wishing to see how we are doing on the polar
expedition, can find our daily team diary updates on a number of websites -
each linked into www.dogsledding.com.  We can receive a (very) small number
of personal messages which can be sent to Kate Surbaugh at
ksurbaugh at xdogs.com, who will batch the messages to us every few days.

MILLENNIUM OPEN SPACE WORKSHOP

this is a quick advance notice of an opportunity to engage with 'opening
the space'.......

We can now confirm that there will be an Open Space learning workshop with
Harrison Owen,
Birgitt Williams and myself in the UK from 25 - 27 October 2000.

The workshop will be at the Roffey Park Management Institute (where we have
centered three
previous happily successful and popular workshops with Harrison 1996 -
1998).  This will
be the first time that Birgitt will be joining us, and we are thrilled
about that: she has been running
workshops on Open Space and the Open Space Organisation for some time, with
rave reviews
from all who experience her.

Having missed a year last year, I have a fairly long list of those who have
been saying
"please let me know when the next workshop is": some of you are on that
list.  If you are interested
in coming to our Millennium workshop it would be great if you would email
me (romys at compuserve.com)
and my colleague Paul Roberts at Roffey (paul.roberts at roffey-park.co.uk) -
and include your mailing
address.  We will then make sure you get all the details as soon as they
are available.
(To make is easy, there is a quick form below)

While I am away at the Pole and in Montreal,  Paul and his colleagues will
look after you.

Full details of the workshop will be sent to you after my return -
meanwhile, please do put
the dates in your diary, if you might like to join us.

see you in October?

Romy

PS  Harrison's new book will also be launched here in the UK - in Oxford on
31st October.

PPS if by any chance you haven't yet tapped into the various web resources
on Open Space, you might like to try:
Birgitt's website:  www.openspacetechnology.com
Michael Herman's site www.globalchicago.net/mha/ost (with many links to
other resources)
Martin Leith's site: www.theinnovationagency.com/openspace

ENGAGING PEOPLE IN LARGE SCALE CHANGE

Our Millennium Open Space workshop forms part of a new series of integrated
workshops on "Engaging People in Large Scale Change", being created by
Roffey Park, VISTA Consulting, WIKIMA Consulting and Hawthorn Press.

The following workshops are part of that series.  For brochures and booking
forms please see below:

23rd February 2000  (while this particular workshop date is past, there
will be more, so I thought you might like to hear of it)
A one-day graphic workshop with Don Braisby.  We have worked with Don for
some time now and have found that using graphics in meetings equips
participants with a visual language that can often be far more powerful
than the spoken or written word.  Even for those of us who think 'I can't
draw' Don makes this day enjoyable and interesting and we can guarantee
that you won't fail to leave with some new skills.  The workshop includes
books, pens etc. for you to take away and practice.

26th and 27th June 2000
"Consulting Skills for Large Group Engagement".A two day session looking at
the issues, joys etc. of consulting to large scale work.  To be held at
Roffey Park, this will be a principle based session co-delivered by Robert
Jacobs, Julie Beedon and others.

4th to 6th September 2000
A three-day Future Search Learning Workshop with Marvin Weisbord and Sandra
Janoff. This is a sort of Future Search 'Sandwich' beginning and ending
with the story and facilitation issues.  The middle is a 16 hour '2 sleep'
Future Search (as per the book) that participants take part in and reflect
on for the facilitation lessons in real time. Marvin and Sandra may also do
a one-day 'Lessons in Future Search' for previous participants.  The venue
is Harper Adams Agricultural College, Newport, Shropshire.

10th - 15th September 2000
The Barry Oshry Power and Leadership Lab - this has run for many years at
Cape Cod and has resulted in Barry's two books 'Seeing Systems' and
'Leading Systems'.  This is the first time it has been run in the UK!
Again its at The Harper Adams Agricultural College, Newport, Shropshire.

October 25th to 27th 2000
Open Space - a new version of learning about Open Space with Harrison Owen,
Birgitt Williams and Romy Shovelton. To be held at Roffey Park.

November  (dates to be agreed) - Search and Participative Design - robust
models for supporting self-organising teamworking with Fran Ryan and Martin
Large (Hawthorn Press).

Watch out for the following books:
'The Change Handbook' (out now) edited by Peggy Holman and Tom Devane
(ISBN: 1-57675-058-2)
Dick Axelrod is publishing 'Terms of Engagement' due out late spring 2000
Bob Rehm is publishing 'People in Charge - Creating Self Managing
Workplaces'

REPLY PAGE

Some of you will have moved addresses and for some we have more than one
email address. Some of you get enough mail and just don't want to receive
any more.  To help us keep our records up to date, and to help us get you
the information you would most like, it would be greatly appreciated if you
could take a minute or two to complete this form and email it back to us.

FROM

Name

Title

Organisation

Address

Town                                                    Post Code

Telephone                                               Fax

Email

o       Please delete me from your mailing list

I am interested in the following and would like to receive the details as
they are available:

o       Consulting Skills for Large Group Engagement - 26th to 27th June
2000

o       Future Search Learning Workshop - 4th to 6th September 2000

o       Power and Leadership Conference - 10th to 15th September 2000

o       Open Space - 25th to 27th October 2000

o       Search and Participative Design - November 2000

o       Large Group Interventions with Billie Alban & Barbara Bunker (date
to be confirmed)

o       Please keep me on your mailing list and let me know of any other
workshops in this field

Please reply to:        Romy Shovelton: romys at compuserve.com
with copies to: Paul Roberts: paul.roberts at roffey-park.co.uk
                Anne Brooks: VISTAanne at aol.com