small os

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Sun Apr 16 11:45:22 PDT 2000

Thanks for your detailed & thoughtful story, Chris.

I had a small open space with an artist's collective who wanted to decide
what to do with a large basement space. Twelve people; the second time they
had been in os. I invited them to give their passion a short title, but
when the bulletin board began I noticed each of them taking a long time to
write. It turned out that each person was writing a detailed description of
their vision for the space (we were sitting in it.)

I decided to not intervene, and as the visions were posted on the wall a
spectrum of possibilities and constraints emerged. The group stayed
together and talked them through for three hours as I sat there, walked
around, ate bagels etc. It was very live and passionate, but there was no
point at which one turned to me as if to ask for facilitation.

They had really learned how they wanted to use the open space. Reflecting
on your story, I wonder if this being a pro bono gig influenced their
expectations of me. But truly they went at it as tho I was not there.

We closed with each person's commitment to next steps. They did not have a
consensus but were universally pleased with what they had done, and wrote a
note of continued appreciation a year later.

Jeff

ps go Sharks!

-
Jeff Aitken