Problem or Deficit Focus

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Tue Sep 28 19:57:36 PDT 1999

Hi David,
sometimes in an open space, especially if it is more than one day, what you
call a deficit focus is a good and necessary part of processing. Usually,
especially in troubled circumstances, on day one, the troubles get spoken of
alot. Interestingly, there is a shift to solution focus on day 2 without
anyone having had to do anything about it. It just takes care of itself.

Sometimes, I hold a storytelling session the evening before the open space
so that the past and present can be honoured. Simple talking stick ceremony.
No intervention or "training" from me. Just let it happen. After honouring
the past and present, people are more ready to be solution focused for the
future during the open space right from the beginning. In doing the
honouring of past and present, we experience the movement through the grief
cycle which Harrison speaks of .

Warmest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton of Dalar Associates
www.openspacetechnology.com
55 Ravina Cres., Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
 L9G 2E8
phone: 905-648-5775  fax: 905-648-2262