os with the military

Virginia visions at interlynx.net
Thu May 27 16:28:51 PDT 1999

> [...]
>
>We have learned a considerable amount about how well using Open Space
>Technology delivers data detailed enough for a landscape architect to use
>do her work. When I do the Open Space, I view myself as having two
>"clients". The company and Virginia. If I have the Open Space set with the
>right theme and have done a good job with both the organizational givens
and
>the landscape givens, the data flows directly to that which Virginia needs.
>The theme and givens are key. I view it as getting the "toboggan" going
down
>the right hill. If I get the toboggan going down the wrong hill, we might
>have a great meeting, but we won't get what Virginia needs to do her
design.
>This is Open Space at its best for product development or for planning.
>Virginia and I will be presenting a paper about the magic that is possible
>at the Canadian Council of Planners in Montreal Quebec in June. They are
>very intrigued with the use of Open Space for detailed and prioritized
>planning.
>
>Anyhow, our client group this last time were the military. No
this was not
>an open space to look at issues and opportunities for transforming the
>military (alas) but for me it was the next best thing. The landscape to be
>developed was 102 acres at one of their most important national
>institutions. The open space took place while there was a gathering of
>leading military officers from across the country which also meant that it
>was a time of lots of military ceremonies on the site while we were there.
>There were 60 people that took part in the Open Space. 7 generals, a
>brigadier general, some colonel's, several commandants, etc, etc. Mostly
>men, mostly older, many with education as engineers. Just the sort of mix
>that I've heard tell Open Space will not work with. A few women in the mix,
>a bit of age diversity with some younger cadets. Mostly people used to
>command and control. Very steeped in being used to being obeyed.
>
>We did a story telling evening prior to the open space. To honour the past
>and present before looking at the future. The history of the land we were
>looking at was so steeped in tradition, ceremony, history and memories that
>conflict was expected as very differing passions abounded. I had been told
>ahead that we would experience much conflict. For many,no change was
wanted.
>For others, they knew that survival depended on looking to the future. So,
>after supper, I had these very dignified persons meet in a circle. And then
>used process facilitation methods to do the storytelling. I placed a group
>of my favourite stones in the centre of the circle, invited the
participants
>to choose a stone (which they each did) despite mumbles of touchy feely.
And

Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 19:44:31 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Larry Peterson <lpasoc at inforamp.net>
Subject: Re: Help: Teens and OS

Jay:  I have led 4 open space events specifically aimed at teens. One was
with high school students who got the day off school to focus on their
response to community issues. The others were with Church groups. One
Anglican group of teens prepared input into a strategic planning process for
the church in 2.5 day open space and made both video, artistic and computer
record. I have been in conversation about an event for 600 teens from a
church in summer 2000.

It works great with teens. They love it!!

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
41 Appleton Ave., Toronto, ON,