Open Space Closure

Andrea Barrett abarrett at wantree.com.au
Sat Mar 13 20:03:25 PST 1999

This is a query re what variations are people using to facilitate the closing of OS events.

I am thinking specifically about a group of 200   - 250 participants who will have been working together for 2 and a bit days in open space. I have a two hour period to assist the group to bring the event to a close. I am toying with the idea of the group breaking up into  groups of 10 (self selected) for 20 mins etc to discuss their experience of open Space and to bring the primary learning/ experience back to the main group (in a 4 minute wrap-up).( I do not intend to use the closing to deal with facts so much as treating it as an opportunity for self-expression re the experience and process of OS) .There would then be 20 minutes for other comments, expressions etc.

I have never asked a group to move into smaller groups to assist in debriefing and closure. Have other people and what is your opinion re the efficacy of this within the OS methodology and experience?

Andrea.

Andrea Barrett

Process and Organisational Consultant
Systemic Intervention Consultancy (sic!)
PO Box 3, North Fremantle, West Australia 6159
Tel: (08) 93356989 mobile 015 606 678 fax (08) 9335 6989