Electronic follow up

Murli rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu
Fri Jun 25 23:43:17 PDT 1999

Koos's observations are excellent, and I agree with him almost entirely.
I've had a fair bit of experience in three kinds of environments:  face to
face, computer-mediated face-to-face, and computer-mediated
non-face-to-face interaction.  None of these are Open Space episodes, but I
think there are some transferable lessons.  Three very critical factors, in
my experience, have been: whether or not the group has a history, whether
group members belong to one organization or are members of a relatively
open-boundaried community, and the task undertaken by the group.  In
particular, there is a huge difference between an open community, which is
what OSLIST is, and members of an organization with multiple, ongoing
relationships.  The dynamics are very different.  Koos's suggestions
regarding posting visuals to a website are especially important to a
community like OSLIST.

My tuppence worth.

Murli