Help with a 450 person OS

Robert Chaffe Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 16 19:37:55 PDT 1999

Large Groups, small groups what is the difference Open space is for each
participant all we do is create the opportunity for them to fully
participate.   My largest group is 260+ and when it was over the things
that worked the best were when we followed the basic principles of "what
can I leave out to keep it simple" and then to trust the system - It works
you know!

When I am confronted with what to do I revert back to the text and so far
it has not let me down.   One of my friends uses the phrase "Forget the sex
aids, just do the job!".  Open space for me is getting the basic things as
close to those outlined in the text and keeping this part of the contract
with the participants "keeping the space" the rest is up to them.

One observation with large groups is that there is a wider range of
acceptance or readyness to participate therefore at the news breaks I need
to be careful to invite  other ideas and issues, the butterflies transform
into bumble bees.  For me part of keeping the space means being prepared
for such changes and create the environment when the conference community
see it as a natural or normal process.

Trust the system - It works.
Regards
Robert