FW: Help with a 450 person OS

Robert Chaffe Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Thu Jun 17 15:56:02 PDT 1999

Yes Barbara,
The evening news and Morning announcements are key sessions for allowing
all participants (not just the few outspoken ones) to express their "new"
issue or to tell a story that will allow them to grow in the community.  I
think this is very hard work because the way I behave sends the messages
that the group responds to.

After three days in March people were saying I wish we were not going home
as I have just got used to the system and I have a number of issues to
discuss.   We provided the post event "virtual Forum" on the world wide web
to encourage unfinished conversations but again the world wide web is new
and different and does require a different set of skills and knowledge (may
be confidence) to use.  The reality is that not many took up the
invitation.   Yet another challenge for the facilitator to construct an
environment that breaks down these barriers.

The forces within the circle with a large number of people is vast and the
community feels this.  For some their past experience in manipulated and
controlled environments puts them on their guard.  I see it as my task to
encourage these individuals to see it as a friendly force that works for
them.

As a facilitator I must be aware of the community but just as the good
shepherd I express this awareness through my care of the individual.  To
keep the space everyone should feel that it is theirs,  in large groups it
just means that I must work 'smarter"  to make this connection with as may
people as possible.  Being truly present and truly listening means, for me,
that at all times throughout the event I am listening and watching for
opportunities to encourage individuals through the conference community.

Robert