Indigenous people in OS

owen owen at tmn.com
Tue Jun 15 18:51:49 PDT 1999

At 11:05 AM 6/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I am looking for examples of Open Spaces in which indigenous people have
>participated. My preference is situations in which indigenous people who
>are connected to traditional communities have participated in Open Spaces
>in which their communities have a stake in the issues being explored. Have
>you facilitated or participated in such an Open Space, anywhere on the
>planet?
>
>I am familiar with the story in the new User's Guide describing the 1992
>Open Space in Denver regarding $1.5 billion in highway funds for tribal and
>public lands.
A follow on with the $1.5 Billion Dollar Denver Deal was a series of Open
Spaces all over the Southwest. I did one with group including a number of
Southern Utes in Durango (for which I received a wonderful talking stick which
is used occasionally but usually hangs on my wall). Mark Carmel who lives in
Pueblo CO has been a lot closer to a lot of this stuff, but unfortunately he is
not on the listserve. But his phone number used to be 719-583-6011 email
<mcarmel at usa.net>. If he answers, tell him not to be a stranger, to join the
listserve (he has probably done as many Open Spaces as anybody in the world),
and that I said Hi.

Harrison

Harrison
Harrison Owen