Fledgling organization, Electronic follow-up

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Sun Jun 20 17:32:34 PDT 1999

I am involved in two different situations, each a new organization in the
beginning steps of truly "organizing".  One is a business that has just
received the financing it needs to move ahead, and is developing toward a
"virtual" model, one of people living and working in different parts of the
country, yet telecommuting, teleconferencing, etc., to keep the business
operating.

Dylene and Koos:

The January 1999 issue of Harvard Business review has an interesting article on some of the hazards of the virtual organization called "The Human Moment at Work" by Edward M. Hallowell (p. 58-66).  Hallowell talks about the destructive power of the absence of human to human contact that is created by our reliance on e-mail, voice mail etc. as the main (and sometimes sole) means of communication. It was a great reminder that no matter how much opportunity and ability that we have to work in a virtual world, and the efficiency of this mode of communications, humans cannot work all of the time in isolation.  It made me think that in designing the virtual organization as an open space organization, that it is important to build in "Human Moments". I think open space meetings do this well.  People are more than physically present, they connect on a deep level and authentically listen, the requirements of "human moments".

I agree with Koos that the Listserve has provided me with great insight and learning.  However, the conversations on the list had more meaning and my desire to contribute in small ways increased once I had met a number of the people at OT or OSONOS.  So, I look forward to some more "human moments" with those of you who are participating in either event.

Kind regards;
Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants