one day OS

Heather Herbert e23498 at ems.rmit.edu.au
Tue Jul 27 15:43:41 PDT 1999

I am very interested in attending. Where is this seminar to be held, and what is the cost please?
Heather Herbert

At 05:15 PM 7/27/99 +0800, you wrote:

> I am planning a one day Open Space meeting for a voluntary non-profit group
> whose members needs time together to think through their situation. Take a
> look through what I have outline so far and provide any suggestions/insights
> you might have.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> DRAFT:
>
> You are invited to participate in the Asian Business Leadership Exchange
> (ABLE) First Annual Leadership Gathering to be held on Sunday August 29, 1999
> from 9:30 - 5:30
>
> The ABLE Leadership Gathering will be a participatory dialogue on ABLE and
> the Asian Leadership Challenge. Invited participants include the officers and
> members of ABLE, graduates from SML training seminars, and other interested
> colleagues. The schedule for the day will be as follows:
>
> 9:00-9:30 Registration and breakfast (pancakes for early risers)
> 9:30 - 10:00 Gathering, Introduction, Agenda
> 10:00 - 1:00 Break out sessions: 1 1/2 hrs per session, 3-4 simultaneous
> sessions.
> 1:00 - 2:00 Lunch (Potluck)
> 2:00 - 5:00 Break out sessions: 1 1/2 hrs per session 3-4 simltaneous session
>
> 5:00 - 5:30 closing
>
> The Open Space process will be utilized during this program to allow maximum
> participation and sharing of ideas.  Anticipated agenda topics relate to the
> purpose and mission of ABLE/SML, Leadership need in HK/Asia, ABLE/SML
> organizational issues, members support and follow-up, etc. Actual topics will
> be determined by the group on the day.  For more information on the process
> go to: <<http://www.tmn.com/openspace/>http://www.tmn.com/openspace/>

Looks pretty good to me... with two possible suggestions. First, I wouldn't
indicate "3-4..... sessions"  Who knows you might have more, or less. If you
have more, folks might think they were "wrong", and if you had less -- that
they were somehow inadequate. Obviously, whatever you have will be the right
thing. My second suggestion is to include some mention of the promises you can
make and keep in Open Space. For instance, you can guarantee that "Every single
issue that anybody cares enough to bring up will be on the table."  You can
also guarantee that all such issues will be discussed to the extent that
anybody cares to do that"... What you can't specify are the actual issues that
will be raised. Here is where you theme comes in -- something like, "What are
the issues and opportunities for leading out organization?" After that, I would
just let it go.

Harrison
Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive