genesis of applause

Barry Owen barryo at home.com
Fri Jul 9 05:36:50 PDT 1999

hmmmmm . . . I happened to have a spare moment and thought Iwould do some
internet research . . . I found several websites of etymology - none had the
word "applause"  . . . I did find this and thought it was a dose of reality.

APPLAUSE, n. [1] an explosive sound, when heard at the beginning of a
speech, shows the audience has faith; when heard in the middle, it shows
they have hope - at the end it only indicates charity
from
http://www.iop.com/~words/