Fw: indigenous teaching

Peg Holman pholman at email.msn.com
Fri Jul 23 13:54:43 PDT 1999

There is a conversation on the Appreciative Inquiry listserv right now about
creating safe space.  Here
a little history:

It was sparked by the story that follows.
Michael Holstock then asked "how can we create safe space?"
I, of course, responded, you can create safe space with Open Space.
He then asked: "what element creates safe space?"
My response is below.  It got me thinking that I'd be interested in how
others in the OS community would answer this question because I think it is
an important one.  So, how do others see this?  What creates safe space?

Peg Holman

THE STORY

Justice

In the Babemba tribe of South Africa, when a person acts irresponsibly or
unjustly, he is placed in the center of the village, alone and unfettered.
All work ceases, and every man, woman and child in the village gathers in a
large circle around the accused individual. Then each person in the tribe,
regardless of age, begins to talk out loud to the accused, one at a time,
about all the good things the person in the center of the circle has done
in his lifetime. Every incident, every experience that can be recalled with
any detail and accuracy is recounted. All his positive attributes, good
deeds, strengths and kindnesses are recited carefully and at length. No one
is permitted to fabricate, exaggerate or be facetious about his
accomplishments or the positive aspects of his personality. The
tribal ceremony often lasts several days and does not cease until everyone
is  drained of every positive comment he can muster about the person in
question.  At the end, the tribal circle is broken, a joyous celebration
takes place, and the person is symbolically and literally welcomed back
into the tribe.

MY RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION ON WHAT CREATES SAFE SPACE