Recognition Opportunity/Global Open Space

Uwe Weissflog uwe.weissflog at sdrc.com
Thu Jan 21 10:11:00 PST 1999

Jay,
here is my first cut;
Systems Thinking in Action to be held November 3-5 in Atlanta, Georgia.

Proposal Application

1999 Systems Thinking in Action Conference

Learning Communities: Meeting the Challenges of a Global Enterprise

Deadline, February 3, 1999

Pegasus Communications, Inc., Attn: Conference Proposals

One Moody Street, Waltham, MA 02453-5339

781-398-9700 Fax 781-894-7079

DIRECTIONS: Use the form below by copying and pasting it into your word processor,
and then
inserting your answers to each of the items, following the numbering and format as
shown below.
Save your completed form(s) as a single .txt file, then print and mail or fax to
Pegasus. You
can send the completed form as an email attachment to leanneg at pegasuscom.com , but
please note
that sections requiring a signature (7 & 8) must be faxed or mailed.

------

1. Title of Presentation (brief, subject to editing)
     Strategic Conversations as the means for Organizational Change; A Case Study
2. Presenter Information

a) Contact Presenter's Name
     Uwe Weissflog
b) Title/Position
      Director, Organization Development
c) Organization
     SDRC
d) Street Address
     2000 Eastman Drive
e) City, State, Zip/Postal Code
     Milford, OH 45208
f) Country
    USA
g) Phone
    513-576-2468
h) Fax
    513-576-2519
i) Email
    uwe.weissflog at sdrc.com
j) References (people who have seen you present and can comment on

content and your speaking ability)

Reference #1 (name, organization, and phone number)
    Robert Kiggans, President Advanced Technology Institute, 843-760-3349
Reference #2 (name, organization, and phone number)
    Mark Goldstein, Vice President, SDRC, 513-576-2570

3. Session Content

a) Disciplines Covered: The best presentations focus on one or two specific
disciplines. Please
indicate the most relevant one(s) in your presentation:  Shared Vision, Personal
Mastery

b) Case Study or Skill-Building Workshop: Please indicate specifically if your
presentation
will be a case study or skill-building workshop. If case study, please describe
how your
presentation would support and reference the conference theme, "Learning
Communities: Meeting
the Challenges of a Global Enterprise."

SDRC is a global solutions provider in digital knowledge creation and management.
The case study shares the experience of building common vision  as an ongoing
process, expressed in continuous conversation about direction and purpose
throughout the organization

c) Track: Please indicate which track(s) your presentation fits.

* Building Organizational Infrastructure That Supports Global Learning Communities

d) Three-Sentence Description for Brochure: (subject to editing)

The case study describes how SDRC used Open Space Technology, the Future Search
Conference model, and Dialogue to develop corporate and product strategy. These
processes enabled the organization to see the underlying structures and value
systems that actually provide the foundation of decision making and actual
behavior, enabling the management team to deal with the real issues related to
change and transformation. The realization that change on the individual level
must happen first before shared vision can really emerge is one of the great
learning experiences of this case study.

e) Anticipated Learnings: In this session, participants will learn

(1) the principles of Open Space Technology, Future Search Conference and Dialogue
and how those can be applied to develop long term direction and shared vision..
(2) How the underlying value systems of Open Space (i.e. openness, equality,
)
help the organization to realize the dependence of personal and collective
transformation, and (3) the difficulties and breakdowns SDRC faced (and still
faces) in thios transition.

Please list four anticipated learnings.

- enabling shared vision to emerge
- dealing with set backs
- individual transformation
- the complexity of letting go of old paradigms

f) Briefly Describe the Format for Your Workshop or Case Study:

- 30 minutes presentation of the case study itself (process view)
- 30 minutes presentation of key learnings
- 30 minutes dialogue with participants

How will you engage the participants in your work? Will it include experiential
opportunities,
audience involvement, lecture, or discussion?

g) Have You Ever Presented This Topic Before?
    NO

If you answered yes, where and how many attended?

h) Experience Level of Anticipated Audience: Five levels are described below.

What level of audience would be best served by your presentation?

* Advanced Beginner: has a deeper knowledge through experience and can apply
principles in
familiar situations.

* Competent: has the knowledge and can apply tools and principles in a broad range
of
circumstances.

* Proficient: has internalized the concepts and tools and consciously applies them
in a
flexible and fluid manner.

* Mastery: has fully internalized perceptions and actions and can do both
intuitively.

4. Session Logistics

What, if any, are the SPECIAL audiovisual, computer, or equipment requirements for
your
presentation?

- computer based presentation

5. Additional Information

If there is other material you would like to submit that would strengthen your
proposal, please
enclose it.

Draft of paper

6. Presenter and Co-Presenter Biographies

Please provide a short biography (3-5 sentences) for each presenter and
co-presenter (do not
send resumes, CVs, etc.). The information, subject to editing, will be included in
the
conference handbook. The format includes name, company and position, prior work
experience, and
degree. Two examples follow.

Uwe Weissflog was  named director of organization development at SDRC in Junauary
1999. In his prior five years with SDRC he has led most of the company’ strategic
initiatives. His 28 years of worldwide experience in computer software
development, marketing and his engineering industry background combined with his
facilitation skills made him the ideal change agent at SDRC. Uwe’s passion is to
find balance between individual and collective desires, in particular in business
environments. His current responsibilities include streamlining of SDRC’s
processes, helping the corporation to find identity and direction and, ultimately
create an environment that fosters ongoing learning as a state of mind.

I'll fax 7 and 8 containing my signature.

Uwe