Process question

Don Ferretti dferrett at placer.ca.gov
Wed Jan 20 16:54:58 PST 1999

Hello.

This is not necessarily a question for an Open Space meeting. It's just a
question to find out what other people are doing in facilitating the process of
prioritizing lists. I learned a quick and fun way to get a groups sense of their
priorities by asking them to put the issues (goals, problems, etc) in the form
of a metaphor such as a house for example. Like, what issue would be the
foundation? The walls? and so on. The metaphor helps in the prioritization in
that the issues that formed the foundation are usually important to tackle
first, etc.   Some fall backs to this could be the use of dots, /or developing
criterion and probably 100 other ways. Or, there may be an issue that just pops
up without any process.

But has anyone ever used a metaphor as a pathway to prioritizing. What images
did you use besides a house or building of some kind?

Thanks.

Don Ferretti