I have finally figured out why OST works :-)

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Thu Jan 28 19:38:35 PST 1999

Well friends on this list,
I have finally had that big breakthrough and figured out why Open Space
works. Turns out it has little  to do with the Open Space, so I'm thinking.
Virginia (landscape architect)and I went down to Oberlin, Ohio this week to
present her master plan for a wonderful piece of land and a wonderful
project. You might recall that I sent a report out onto the list of this
story because it made a great case for deliverables out of an Open Space
meeting. Using Open Space at the start of her design processes enables
Virginia to deliver a master plan that has near  total community buy in at
the point of delivery which is about 40 days from the Open Space meeting.
This is instead of the way most architects do their process which is more
time consuming, requires selling of their design after the fact and so on.
Anyhow, this story is about this visit. We arrived. The community members
(about 40) who we were to report to had mostly been at the Open Space we
did. And they greeted us with hugs and words of friendship and "its like you
never left", as long lost friends. How could the presentation not go well in
this setting of warmth and comraderie. It is amazing to be allowed the
privilege of doing Open Space work. I have tears almost every time by the
breakthroughs, get hugs from the "clients", have a totally wonderfilled
time, and I get paid for it. Anyhow, back to my original point. I've
concluded, at least for today, that Open Space works because of the hugs.
And the effect of hugs is scientifically proven as noted below.

>>Scientific research has shown that:
>>
>>Every Human Being Needs:
>>*  4 hugs per day to merely survive
>>*  8 hugs per day to maintain oneself at a particular emotional level
>>* 12 hugs per day to grow
>> - a hug can be in any form-total body contact, a kind word, a touch, a
>
>>smile.
>>
>>Hugs are free:
>>Maybe that's why so many people take them for granted.  If hugs did
>>cost a lot of money, people would probably knock themselves out to make
>
>>money to buy hugs.
>>Even though hugs are free, hugs aren't worth anything if they aren't
>>used, and a hug not used is lost forever.  On an affection starved
>>planet, can we really affort to waste hugs??
>>
>>Hugging is Natural:
>>*Organic*naturally sweet*no pesticides*no preservatives*no artificial
>>ingredients*100%wholesome
>>
>>Hugging is healthy:
>>*It helps the body's immune system
>>*It keeps you healthier
>>*It reduces stress
>>*It induces sleep
>>*It's invigorating
>>*It's rejuvenating
>>*It has no unpleasant side effects
>>*Hugging is nothing less than a miracle drug

Let's open some space for a hug,

Birgitt Bolton