Talking Stick

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Mon Feb 1 14:05:19 PST 1999

As I understand the tradition of the Six Nations Native People in North
America, all that has been said about the talking stick so far is so.
However, there is more, and this we don't do well in Open Space---at least
the longest talking stick ritual that I'm aware that any of us has done is
about 3 hours. In native tradition, often the circle with the talking stick
goes on for days, until everything that needs to be said is said. And long,
long periods of silence are most welcome. I would like to underline a word
that Harrison used and that is the word of respect. Respectful speaking,
respectful silence, respectful listening, and respect shown to the talking
stick. I think it is important to speak about this. Too often the talking
stick, when someone is done, gets plunked on the ground instead of being
respectfully placed.

Warmest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton of Dalar Associates
www.openspacetechnology.com
55 Ravina Cres., Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
 L9G 2E8