Open Space and Dialogue

Richard Charles Holloway learnshops at thresholds.com
Thu Dec 23 10:27:47 PST 1999

Like many other things which I try to do well, I'm no expert in the art of
dialog, either.  I do try to practice it and bring aspects of it into my
conversations (and open space participation) as well.  Dialog is a
"specific" practice and is not inherent to the practice of open space...but
the characteristics of dialog may (and I think, for myself, should) be
brought into OS and other reflective ways of sharing a conversation with
others.

Here's something I "clipped" and kept some years ago...I apologize that I
don't remember where I got it, though I may have modified it some.  I have
used these words to invoke an open space.  More importantly, it helps me
stay focused in the conversational style I want to practice...and it
reflects my understanding of the spirit of dialog:

The Way of Learning

We each bring our own truth;
We each share the passion of our personal vision without attachment,
releasing it to the larger truth of the circle;
We speak from the deep place inside ourselves, without concern that we will
be interrupted, criticized or judged;
We don't seek to argue or persuade;
We seek stillness and quiet, attempting to connect to the greater wisdom;
We allow the truth to be spoken-and recognize its' authenticity when we hear
it;
We seek to listen without reacting, without intent to respond;
We listen without influence from memories, or long-held images;
We look deeply into the sense of what is said;
We choose to speak honestly and truthfully or we choose not to speak;
We choose to be brief in respect to others;
We honor silence when words are less wise;
We listen actively, with our full attention to the speech, silence, and
presence of the group.

=======
regards,

Doc

"The salvation of the world lies in the human heart."  -Vaclav Havel

Richard Charles Holloway -
P.O. Box 2361, Olympia, WA 98507 USA Telephone 253.539.4014 or 206.568.7730
Thresholds <http://www.thresholds.com>
Meeting Masters <http://www.thresholds.com/meeting.html>