continuity and change

Christine Brinkley cbrink at sapient.com
Thu Oct 29 10:23:50 PST 1998

I have been lurking in the background for a while and wanted to add my two
cents.  I read the ideas on yesterdays mailings and then got on a plane and
began to read an article by James Collins and Jerry Porras titled "Building
Your Company's Vision."  (They also wrote a phenomenal book titled Built to
Last, if you are interested).

Anyway, Collins and Porras posit that companies that enjoy long term success
do so because they have a strong sense of purpose which continually guides
them through change.  The authors claim that the purpose is not something
that can be fulfilled, but is more like a "guiding star on the horizon--
forever pursued but never reached...although purpose itself does not change,
it does inspire change."

As Joe indicates, the purpose is then unchanging, and perhaps comforting, to
employees constantly dealing with flux and change.

Christine Brinkley
Sapient Corporation
1 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02142