continuity and change

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Thu Oct 29 09:12:50 PST 1998

Hi Joe,
and thank you for

"That which transforms things and fits them together is called change,
That which stimulates them and sets them in motion is called continuity,
That which raises them up and sets them forth before all people on earth is
called the field of action."    I Ching

as well as your other words and thoughts about continuity and change.

I have been doing enormous amounts of thinking about order and chaos, with a
special focus on order. The kind of thinking that stretches me and
continually teaches me how little I know, and yet at the core of my being, I
know that I know---a connect, a huge connect---and I just can't quite get a
handle on it. It is the kind of thing that makes me feel very small in the
universe, while at the same time knowing that I am in the universe and that
the universe is in me. What your thoughts have done for me is to help me
understand that one of the problems with how I have been articulating the
ORDER part of chaos and order as I see it, is that there is too much
misunderstanding when I use the word ORDER.  Is continuity a better word? My
visuals for chaos and order are two intersecting circles, sometimes
intersecting to the point that they are almost right on top of each other.
The intersecting area is where the movement takes place. The movement
between chaos and order. The movement between change and continutity?? I'll
have to dwell on this. What I do "know" is that it is in this intersecting
place that we have Open Space, filled with the chaos and order, to create
the richness towards the new. Gosh, this is hard to get across by e-mail!
Any thoughts welcome, please.

Kindest regards,
Birgitt