Education thread

Jeff Aitken jeffa at tmn.com
Wed Oct 21 22:23:53 PDT 1998

My recent incarnation was staff of the Organizational Development and
Transformation MA program at a small graduate school in San Francisco. I
used quite a bit of open space with students and staff over a period of
several years.

The vast majority of our students were midlife adults who had returned to
school to "cross the open space" (cf descent of Innana) on a personal
level.

Harrison came to our school in February 1989 to do two days of open space
with us. I was hooked and immediately began using it. Our experiences
included a fabulous two-day planning session for faculty, staff, and
students; several two-day open spaces as twice yearly community-building
retreats for students and faculty; and several one-day open spaces for
advanced students to share their interests and skills. We also offered 3
units of credit for students to attend the 1994? Napa OT symposium and
write a reflection paper; and the group met for a day in open space to
complete the course.

The school is the California Institute of Integral Studies.