continuity and change

Richard Charles Holloway learnshops at thresholds.com
Sun Nov 1 20:58:21 PST 1998

Birgitt,

as usual, you speak from deep within you and reflect what's true in the
metaphors that best serve you.

I know that each of us have observed the narrow boundaries between order and
chaos -- but sometimes we're so deeply engaged with the superficial elements of
living that we don't perceive the balancing act that happens about us (which is
why it's so important to search for and maintain balance!).

here's an image--a drop of water collecting on a leaf.  tiny trickles of water
move down this leaf, and our drop grows larger and larger until the cohesive
bonds that were keeping order collapse under the weight of more water, and the
drip Drips sending its' tiny volume of water crashing down into the small pool
of water that's collected beneath the leaf.  the impact sends shock waves
across this tiny pool, and it rises above the small surface that was confining
it, releasing a trickle of water into a larger pool---well, we know the rest of
the story, don't we.

there's a zen quality to this picture when we observe its nature in our
reflection, in silence, in harmony with the great spirit...it gives us an
insight into order and chaos.

for some of us (perhaps Larry Peterson and myself, for instance) we can take
great joy casting these profound images into different metaphors of fractals
and chaos and order and complexity.  others grasp the same concepts, as you do,
in the nature of nature itself.  our paths may move in different ways as we
wander through this experience, but we feel the continuity that comes from our
common spirit, the source of love and caring.

walk in peace,

Doc

--
"Love has to spring spontaneously from within and it is in no way amenable to
any form of inner or outer force.  Love and coercion can never go together; but

Thresholds <http://www.thresholds.com>
Meeting Masters <http://www.thresholds.com/masters.html>
Richard Charles "Doc" Holloway - P.O. Box 641, Long Beach, WA 98631
Voice 360.642.8487 ICQ# 10849650