"modified open space"

ralphsc ralphsc at earthlink.net
Fri May 1 19:50:00 PDT 1998

Dear Friends,

Several dozen open space events under my belt, and here's something new
that happened to me today...

After I did the introduction, a woman participant came up to me and said
that I had to be more careful, as I walked in circles, of people who may
suffer from motion sickness, as she apparently does.  I asked her to
please explain.  She had me look up at the room's ceiling, where half a
dozen fans turned lazily, circulating air.  They were moving in a
clockwise direction.  I had been doing my circles counter-clockwise.

The juxtaposing of my going one direction and the fans rotating in the
other had been making her dizzy!  She dealt with it by simply lowering
her head and closing her eyes.

Now, my question is: do you think it would have made any difference if
the meeting had been in the southern hemisphere?

Ralph Copleman