Some thoughts about trust/ distrust in open space

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Sun Jun 21 17:38:17 PDT 1998

Thank you for your comments. I appreciated them and liked the phrase of
"fright-biting".

 For sure, in Open Space, truth comes out and if people are not feeling
good about each other, this will come out too---which in my opinion is
very,very good. Assuming that we have given enough time for the Open Space.
I have watched over and over again as people who have disliked one another
for many years, come together and really try talking in Open Space. Really
try to get through their conflicts. I believe that people have the capacity
to do this---given the time and space. I have been in many situations of
Open Space where mis-trust starts to become trust ---or at least respect (a
willingness to look again). Isn't it great that we have the privilege to do
this work??? and be witness to people struggling and learning and growing?

I think as facilitators we should keep things as simple as possible and
stay out of the way--and let people do their process work in that space. If
I give any guidance at all in the beginning it is just to remind people of
the four laws of spirit (as per Angeles Arrien):
1. Show up and tell the truth
2. Tell the truth without blame or judgement
3. Follow what has heart and meaning
4. Let it go

Kindest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton
Dalar Associates/Change Team Canada
55 Ravina Cres., Ancaster, Ontario, Canada L9G 2E8
phone: 905-648-5775    fax: 905-648-2262