Some thoughts about trust/ distrust in open space

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Fri Jun 19 06:14:56 PDT 1998

Grewe: The English was great. I think that the creation of "trust" is more
based on what the sponsoring leadership does before the open space than
what the facilitator does in the opening and holding. If the sponsor states
the theme, givens and parameters in an honest and clear way, then trust
builds. If there has been some history of trust in the sponsoring
leadership this is certainly enhanced. At a recent event where the VP was
genuine in stating his vision for the future and his openness to
involvement at all levels of the organization---even thought there had been
problems in the past. The level of energy and trust in Open Space was
phenomenal. Some people spoke who had seldom said but a few words on the
job to those in more formal power.

I also believe that the facilitator also has a critical role is connecting
to the spirit in the room and intentionally opening and holding space.
However, when that clarity and trust exibited by the sponsors is not there
then I experience the outcomes to be different and I've led those kind of
events as well.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation