D(M)istrust in open space

Chris Kloth kloth at tmn.com
Thu Jun 18 08:29:35 PDT 1998

I am not very invested in making a case about trust or mutual respect.
Whatever legitimate distinctions there may be, they seem to me subtle
and not worth much more time.  As a matter of practice I have noted that
using the word trust seems to turn up the heat in certain situations,
which I think is my role at times.

What I would like to get reactions to from others is your question of
dis/mis trust in Open Space.  One of the types of situations I like to
use Open Space Technology in is when there is a very high degree of
volatility...not usually the environment for trust or mutual respect.
Since open space depends upon passion and responsibility I believe that
it has the capacity to give people something real to work on
together...which builds trust and mutual respect.  But I also believe
that building sustainable trust when there has been deep mistrust it
takes a long time working on real work together to see if people walk
their talk, longer than an  individual event allows for...though the
original event may lay a solid foundation.

What do others think?

Chris Kloth