Conflict in OS and other questions

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Tue Jul 14 11:57:46 PDT 1998

Hi Kevin,

Some answers to your questions and a suggestion that you check out the
website at geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9215  There are a number of stories
there (I think over 100 of them by now) that give you lots of answers to
your questions. In particular one on Open Space that Harrison and I did
with the Breast Cancer Advocacy Group---written by Pat Kelly (who hired
us). The three days were filled with conflicts of all types. Our job was to
hold the space safe and let the group do what it needed to do---even
through anger at us as the facilitators. And they did. Lots of pain. A
facilitator who would have moved in to do something about the conflicts
would have messed up the whole thing.

> >>I have a couple of questions though.
> >>
> >>Has it ever happened that not enough issues/concerns or opportunities
were
> >>surfaced during the first session to fill all the time slots?

You can cover some of the meeting areas on the chart with a piece of
flipchart paper and then when all the time slots have  some items, uncover
the balance of the chart to be used.

 Also, how
> do
> >>you manage the time/space chart if a convener wants to meet at the pool
> >>instead of one of the designated break out rooms?

The convenor that meets at the pool is my kind of convenor :-). Just make
sure that convenors know they have to leave a note for the bumblebees.
Using good manners is the basic key here.

Best wishes with your open space work,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton
Dalar Associates/Change Team Canada
55 Ravina Cres., Ancaster, Ontario, Canada L9G 2E8
phone: 905-648-5775    fax: 905-648-2262