[OSList] What could dialogue look like between people of Russia and people of the West?

Romy Shovelton romy.shovelton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 10:36:48 PST 2022

I love your idea Lucas…… Why not ?! I’m not sure that I’d be a reliable partner in the venture…. Being constantly tied up in the daily life of my retreat centre…. And I shall certainly applaud from the sidelines and pop in from time to time if this happens….

In deep appreciation

😊

> On 19 Feb 2022, at 18:00, Michael Herman via OSList <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org> wrote:
>
> I know that this scale of dialogue is what Qiqo was originally built for, Lucas.  So I'm glad to see you asking this question.  I wonder if the folks at helena.org <http://helena.org/> would appreciate it.  They did a small-sample program "American in One Room," a weekend gathering, folks flown in from all 50 states, as I recall, in conjunction with the NYTimes and some folks at U of Chicago.
>
> Michael
>
> --
>
> Michael Herman
> Michael Herman Associates
> 312-280-7838 (mobile)
>
> MichaelHerman.com <http://michaelherman.com/>
> OpenSpaceWorld.org <http://openspaceworld.org/>
>

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 10:35 AM Lucas Cioffi via OSList <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
> Dear OSLIST,
>
> Does anyone want to try opening up some dialogue channels between the people of Russia and the people of the West?  It's way too late to affect the current situation in Ukraine, but dialogue could be helpful for the long term.
>
> I believe that if the people speak with each other directly and (eventually) on a large enough scale, then there is a strong chance for understanding to be built, less us-vs.-them thinking, and that would give political leaders flexibility to choose options other than war to solve big problems.
>
> It doesn't look like many are doing anything like this yet.  With a quick Google search I could only find the Carnegie Moscow Center <https://carnegiemoscow.org/specialprojects/relaunchingusrussiadialogueonglobalchallenges/?lang=en> as an organization interested in a participatory US-Russia dialogue.
>
> Assuming there was an unlimited budget, how could a dialogue be designed?  Is anyone interested in working on something like this?
>
> Lucas Cioffi

Romy Shovelton
Executive Director

Wikima & the 5* Tyddyn Retreat