[OSList] Confused American

Marc C. Trudeau marctrudeau at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Jan 14 11:08:52 PST 2021

❤️

On Jan 14, 2021, at 1:55 PM, Jeff Aitken via OSList <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org<mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:

Hi folks. The voice that I used for that post was that of my cousin, whom I love very much. He is, like me, a white American with twelve generations of ancestry in Maryland and West Virginia, until our grandfather moved to California.

I was reflecting on the theme of the upcoming online OS conference, around holding space for 8 billion people in conversation. My cousin's voice came through suddenly, to start to reflect the intensity of the conflicts in the USA on the day of the 2nd impeachment.

Holding space for even the USA's 300+ million at this time requires digging deeper than usual. I need to understand the assumptions and judgments that I make about folks whose voices sound like that. I did have satire in mind at first, but then the floor dropped out beneath me.

So, it became an offering in these interesting times.

Jeff