[OSList] Confused American

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:55:24 PST 2021

Hi folks. The voice that I used for that post was that of my cousin, whom I
love very much. He is, like me, a white American with twelve generations of
ancestry in Maryland and West Virginia, until our grandfather moved to
California.

I was reflecting on the theme of the upcoming online OS conference, around
holding space for 8 billion people in conversation. My cousin's voice came
through suddenly, to start to reflect the intensity of the conflicts in the
USA on the day of the 2nd impeachment.

Holding space for even the USA's 300+ million at this time requires digging
deeper than usual. I need to understand the assumptions and judgments that
I make about folks whose voices sound like that. I did have satire in mind
at first, but then the floor dropped out beneath me.

So, it became an offering in these interesting times.

Jeff

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:43 AM Barry Owen via OSList <