[OSList] Online solutions for a virtual OS

Lucas Cioffi lucas at qiqochat.com
Sun Mar 22 09:02:34 PDT 2020

Hello Nigel, we exchanged an email about using QiqoChat (with the included
Zoom breakout rooms) and I pasted it at the bottom of this email in yellow
in case others have the same questions.

Below I also included a few other ways I know how to use Zoom to open space.

====

Hello, Nigel!
All we did for the World Happiness Fest was set up their garden:
http://worldhappinessfest.qiqochat.com/

You can set one up with a few steps.  Go to this link to create a new
"circle" on Qiqo: https://qiqochat.com/new  Then you land on your garden's
page.  Enter your credit card and you're all set.

Your circle is the name of your group of people.  Each circle can have a
garden (for unscheduled or scheduled events; no notes in the breakout
gardens) and any number of scheduled events where people are taking notes
collaboratively (each breakout event gets 10 breakout rooms by default and
you can change that, plus each breakout comes with a notes document).
Here's an example of the second kind of event with breakouts that each have
a notes document <https://qiqochat.com/e/HqWdBUwtmmzLsfPvyEXwmiRZw>.
<https://qiqochat.com/e/HqWdBUwtmmzLsfPvyEXwmiRZw>

Once you have your circle created, you can create that second type of event
by going to the menu and looking for "Events".

I have some more explanation of the difference between the types of events
on the homepage: https://qiqochat.com/about

I just posted a message to the OS List for how we facilitators can connect
with each other live.  Please join Slack as described in that message.
When my "dot" in Slack is green, we'll be able to connect for an impromptu
chat.  I can share my screen and answer any questions.

=======

Also, Tony Budak is a pioneer and created an online garden for his local
community in Ohio.  His link is here <https://mahoning.qiqochat.com/>.
People can create their own here: https://qiqochat.com/new

There's one other platform I know of for online OS: OpenSpace-Online®
<http://openspace-online.com/>

Aside from Qiqo (uses Zoom for video and Google Docs for notes) and
OpenSpace-Online®, you could set on up with Zoom + Google docs.  Buy a Zoom
account for each breakout room you want.  Then create a Google doc for the
opening circle (to post the agenda) and a Google doc for notes at each
breakout table.  I'd recommend re-using the same Google doc for each
breakout.  The disadvantage of this approach is that people cannot see who
is in a breakout room before they join.

You can also use Zoom's breakout rooms feature.  If you make everyone a
co-host then they can move themselves between breakouts, but they will have
to refer to another document such as a Google doc to see what topics are
being discussed at each table.  There's an experiment of this approach
happening this Monday, 23rd March 2020 from 19:30 to 21:30 CET, hosted by
mail at birgit-nieschalk.com and ruben at thecreatorscompany.com. Invitation is
here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zvHZYvA-4q2bxrxsYqI2CUa4h_bYXWfgXvEU5aEWSQE/edit#heading=h.p80y54r7tjap>
.