[OSList] Agile culture - video (X-posted OS/GC-list)

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Jan 10 11:09:43 PST 2020

When I first met the (fledgling, at that time) Agile community, Thomas, it
was because they'd asked me to introduce OS as a track in their first
annual conference (2002).  When I showed up, they explained to me what
Agile was.  I just started laughing. "Guys," I said, "You do realize that
you're making software in Open Space!"  My short explanation of that
characterization is that in both Agile and OS, "We put all the most
important stuff on the wall.  And then we get it done."

Fast forward to 2017, Mike Beedle, one of the original co-authors of the
Agile Manifesto (agilemanifesto.org), launched a framework for (whole)
Business or Enterprise Agility.  The foundation of that is an adapted
"Business Model Canvas."  Mike and I used to muse about whether the 9-15
boxes on those canvases were so many small open spaces (on important
dimensions of the work, or if it was really one big open space with a
finite number of predictable tracks of work (e.g. purpose, customer,
metrics, team practices, resources, governance, value delivery, and so
on).  Either way, we always agreed that Mike's Enterprise Scrum
canvas-based framework was surely a form of Ongoing Open Space.

Since then, in practice, I've found that following an OS meeting with work
in an Enterprise Scrum canvas, the canvas being a way to keep the
marketplace open and loosely organized going forward, is a somewhat more
rigorous but also natural enough way to support "keeping the work going"
after the OS.

Overall, what I like about the pairing of OS and Agile approaches is this:
The strong invitation, engagement, alignment that arises so quickly and
easily in OS doesn't automatically lead into rigorous action, if the
organization doesn't already have that rigor active in itself.  At the same
time, Agile approaches bring an easy, natural rigor to work, but don't
necessarily invite, engage and align.  Imposed, and Too Narrow (closed),
understanding of Agile, Value and Transformation too often have Agile teams
working very rigorously but not as smart and aligned as they really
want/need to be.

Some combination of open (space) invitation and operational (agile) rigor,
however, in the same/shared spirit of self-organization, is my favorite way
to play these days.

Michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

MichaelHerman.com
OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Thomas Herrmann via OSList <