[OSList] Orgs that Failed to Implement Self-Organization?

R Chaffe rchaffe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 23:24:31 PDT 2019

Jake,
By definition self organisation occurs despite any efforts to make it happen.  Self means just that ie. it is about personal commitment to one’s self.  When a system self organises those who are viewing it as if through a window wonders how?  Then the question is why?  In change again by definition new things are operating in the environment we are in.  Maslow would say we revert to the base of his needs and then as we mature we reach the ultimate self actualisation.  So the function of a self organising or self managed group will be compromised when someone’s needs are not met.

Normally, from my experience the organisation or management of the group will move to and fro through a range of responses that what we might call “living cadence”. And if the situation is compromised beyond the group’s ability to cope we can say the self organised group has failed.

Having had the privilege of working in a number of self organising groups it is as if by magic things get done to standards way in excess of what I had thought possible.  Over time groups evolve as they adapt to their environment.  As said in the bible there is a time for everything as one waxes one wanes.

Regards
Rob