[OSList] Government community engagement

Harrison Owen hhowensr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 13:16:34 PDT 2019

Eric… There is a marvelous chimera about… that somebody (anybody) can decide how much “space” to be opened. It is a simple fact of the matter that if “the issues” are in the hearts and minds of the people, they will be “there.” No matter what the organizers think, wish, hope. The People rule. And those issues WILL be discussed – perhaps as “Elephants in the room” – but they will be there. Believe it! There is a choice, however.

Will all this be a “Back channel discussion” with all the narrowness, distortions and meanness that naturally accrues?  OR … will the people be invited to deal honestly, fully, and (perhaps) painfully with the real issues for which they have a passion and concern? Worst case scenario is that the “worst” happens. People talk Honestly! Truth. It will not fit nicely in a parliamentary resolution – but it will surely be the place where any formal resolution MUST start.

Curmudgeonly Opinion from the Great State of Maine.

Harrison