[OSList] Message for Eric re Hawaii

Romy Shovelton romy.shovelton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 07:37:48 PDT 2019

Eric,

Open Space has been used for many decades in Hawaii - directly with the community and in running the amazing organisation that has been running the most extraordinary education and other community support. John Engle is the absolutely amazing human who has made all this happen.

So sorry to John… I’ve forgotten the name of his organisation in Hawaii. There are so many people who will know - including Harrison. I can ask others if needed.

Romy
Tyddyn Retreat Mid Wales Venue & Holiday Cottages
+ Wikima Ltd
Wales, UK

Aloha all,
I’m looking for references to a similar situation (more below) where OS was the contributing factor of success, in particular to communicate to government and community leaders here why OS will get the results they need.

The context is the community engagement piece of recovery efforts from the 2018 volcano eruption in Hawaii. I’m consulting with the County Recovery Manager, who has been convening other types of gatherings much of this year. Now that disaster relief funding is closer to being on the ground, the County wants to convene a larger, multi-sector event, to encourage development of community-based recovery actions. The County is also planning to have a Disaster Recovery Fund setup, which would field a competitive process for proposed projects, some of which may have convened in the larger event and decided there to collaborate on a proposal.

As with other parts of the recovery effort, this event would be under public scrutiny. It may be the largest event they’ve held, and County leadership is worried of perceptions and actual results coming from the event. In other words, there may be tendencies to have more control over the design/outcome of the day, in which case OS wouldn’t be the chosen organizing framework, but something else they’re more at ease with or accustomed to. I do believe, however, those community-based recovery actions are what they want most.

Do you have links or references to similar public sector gatherings using OS, under scrutiny, and producing anticipated results satisfactory to government and community, that I might share with County leadership?

Mahalo!
~Eric

Eric M. Kapono, CPF
Advancement Services