[OSList] Government community engagement

Eric M. Kapono kapono at advancementservices.org
Wed Jun 5 19:54:00 PDT 2019

Aloha all,

I'm looking for references to a similar situation (more below) where OS was
the contributing factor of success, in particular to communicate to
government and community leaders here why OS will get the results they need.

The context is the community engagement piece of recovery efforts from the
2018 volcano eruption in Hawaii. I'm consulting with the County Recovery
Manager, who has been convening other types of gatherings much of this year.
Now that disaster relief funding is closer to being on the ground, the
County wants to convene a larger, multi-sector event, to encourage
development of community-based recovery actions. The County is also planning
to have a Disaster Recovery Fund setup, which would field a competitive
process for proposed projects, some of which may have convened in the larger
event and decided there to collaborate on a proposal.

As with other parts of the recovery effort, this event would be under public
scrutiny. It may be the largest event they've held, and County leadership is
worried of perceptions and actual results coming from the event. In other
words, there may be tendencies to have more control over the design/outcome
of the day, in which case OS wouldn't be the chosen organizing framework,
but something else they're more at ease with or accustomed to. I do believe,
however, those community-based recovery actions are what they want most.

Do you have links or references to similar public sector gatherings using
OS, under scrutiny, and producing anticipated results satisfactory to
government and community, that I might share with County leadership?

Mahalo!

~Eric

Eric M. Kapono, CPF

Advancement Services