[OSList] OST as a way to go in addressing climate change and other perils

Brett Barndt barndtbrett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:51:43 PST 2019

Wonderful questions.  There are some wonderful people who have done
interesting research in and around this issue of paradigm change. Their
voices are not invited onto the national network chat shows. They are not
interviewed on TV or radio. Newspaper editors do not include them. Is it
possible to convene marginalized voices in OST to generate some real new
knowledge?

Has any paradigm ever changed from the center? Is it not the edgewalkers
and outsiders who bring change to systems?

Here are some marginalized views to consider.

Jared Diamond posits a useful theory about why elite decision makers and
their "vassals" fail to respond to the signals about ecological degradation
caused by the dominant economic practices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IESYMFtLIis

   - He seems to say the pressure to keep up on obligations to elites keeps
   everybody running in place and not responding to what becomes obvious.
   - He asks the question how is it that the last tree was cut down on the
   Easter Islands?
   - It turns out other civilizations degraded their ecology and collapsed,
   mostly due to overusing water for intensive agriculture to support vast
   civilizations supporting urban division of labor.
   - The North African breadbasket for Rome may have been one such place.
   Mesopotamia, once a fertile crescent is now a dry land, salt water invited
   in by the removal of the ground water. There is a pattern here.

Another wonderful voice who links debts to the race to the bottom "lower
limit morality" because economic actors need to "avoid bankruptcy" in the
current system as it is is Karl Homann. The economic actors may wish to do
something different ethically, but they are compelled to play along or face
destitution.

http://www.wcge.org/download/DP_2006-5_Homann_-_The_Sense_and_Limits_of_the_Economic_Method_in_Business_Ethics_o.pdf

https://www.wcge.org/images/wissenschaft/publikationen/DP_2006-4_Homann_-_Competition_and_Morality_o.pdf

In our modern world, we might look carefully at the financial balance
sheets that force firms, families, individuals (and most of us) to continue
on in our daily economic activities in the fossil fuel age without
stopping. And, even resisting losing our place in the hierarchy.

The major stake shareholders of fossil fuel corporations are also
cross-shareholders of banks. They aren't in a position to pull credit from
their fossil fuel assets only to bankrupt themselves.

There's been 40 years for them to do so. We see only small projects, and
mostly in countries where fossil fuel owners are not politically powerful.
Denmark, Germany show it can be done. But those are not economies dominated
by corporate stocks like BP, Exxon, Chevron, Halliburton, etc. and the
banks who have $Bs in credit lines extended to them for decades. And,
cross-shareholdings at the apex of control.

Instead of diving into the opportunity for a new industry with potential
for ever rising EROEI, what we have seen is tremendous efforts to stop the
tide, create confusion in the public about climate change, and continue
with ever harder drilling and coal removal despite obviously diminishing
energy returns on energy investment and moribund economies in the West
stuck on fossil fuel infrastructure.

Tim Jackson wrote recently about diminishing EROEI as the explanation for
our stagnating economies in US, EU, etc.
https://www.cusp.ac.uk/themes/aetw/wp12/#1475182667098-0328ae0f-4bcb3691-b07686d5-d83f5228-4386

These views are not part of the voices in the dominant discourse. They are
counter-narrative voices, marginalized by the academy, journals, and media.

There is also a lot of brain science about denial of in VUCA situations.
Rebecca Costa wrote about this in The Watchman's Rattle. We the collective
operate from a place of denial and dissociation, evidently.  Elites (and
their "vassals") operate from a place of repaying their debts so not to
bankrupt themselves.  Everyone knows it needs to change.  Nobody can see
the solution because it means stepping out of the looking glass, breaking
through the coloring book lines, changing systems for which we have no
vocabulary words, and raising taboos.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 7:52 PM R Chaffe via OSList <