[OSList] Large Open Space with Anglican Church Australia

Michael Wood michael.wood at uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 26 00:14:02 PDT 2019

A few weeks ago Brendan McKeague and Michael Wood co-facilitated what might be the largest ever Open Space in Australia (certainly with a church group) when the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane took the step of hosting most of the first day of Synod (the annual large gathering of representatives of Anglican parishes, schools and other organisations) for 6 hours in Open Space. 450 people attended around a very spacious question, 'what is God calling us to be and do at this time'.  Three sessions of 1.5 hours each led to the posting of 56 conversation topics and 14 action plans. One of the interesting pieces of feedback at the end of Synod is that the remainder of Synod (which is conducted in a traditional Westminster Parliament format) 'felt' more calm and respectful that in previous years - no surprises there.  Although it's early days the whole thing felt to me like an opening up of new possibility about the way we meet in the church and I personally hope it might be part of a cultural shift starting to happen. Time will tell.
Michael Wood. Perth, Western Australia.