[OSList] OST for Mission/Vision and Strategic Planning?

Chris Kloth chris.kloth at got2change.com
Mon Aug 12 14:25:41 PDT 2019

Jake, I hope to get back to you by this weekend. I am in the middle of
a project with Prosecutor Impact (see Adam Foss' Ted Talk) that is
pretty consuming. I know I have the file somewhere.

That said, Michael's comment about what's on the wall triggered a
powerful memory. When I got to my site the night before we were to
start a very resistant top executive made it clear to me that he
thought this approach a ridiculous waste of time. He also made it
clear that he was sure labor issues over wages and other workplace
issues would probably come up and that there was no way these could be
addressed in such a setting.

I thanked him for sharing his concerns and observed that labor issues
would probably come up if it mattered to those in the room and
requested that he trust me that it would be okay. I also asked him to
listen to the workers talk and resist taking charge of the subject.

No surprise that the topic came up at both sites in the first round
and was attended by almost everyone at my site. He scowled at me big
time. I will admit I was nervous.

The 90 minute session went roughly like this: 30 of frustration, 30
minutes of "We are all in this together and still have the best jobs n
the valley" and 30 minutes of developing strategies. By the end of the
second round the company president faxed from the other site that
their ideas were all valuable and could be implemented!

The rest of the day was amazingly full of energy, excitement, and optimism.

--
Shalom,

Chris Kloth
ChangeWorks of the Heartland