[OSList] OST for Mission/Vision and Strategic Planning?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Aug 12 13:21:06 PDT 2019

When people have called asking for vision/mission development, I've always
echoed the User's Guide:  what goes up in the first hour IS the vision.
what's on the wall will get done.  anything not on the wall probably won't
get done.  in the meeting and in the year (or other planning period).  then
i ask them what we should do with the rest of their time.  the obvious
answer is to get into the details, get on with doing the work.

from this perspective, i hear the second part of your question, about
strategic plan, as "how do we keep it going."  one way is surely to use the
day(s) to detail the plan(s).  but more generally, i think it's worth
noticing that a strategic plan is just one way of trying to keep the work
going.  it might be to keep the marketplace wall open and edit as we go.
(we call open space "the practice of peace" but sometimes a room with
everything on the wall is called a "war room" -- go figure.)  it might also
or instead be some of the rules from university of kentucky rural health
system, from harrison's tales from open space book.  it might be trello
boards online.  it might be simply the usual sort of proceedings document,
per the user's guide.  what it doesn't necessarily do is "qualify" as a
"strategic plan."  what it needs to do is keep the space open and the work
emerging with something of the ease that it does in an open space meeting
event.

Michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:49 AM Harrison Owen via OSList <